it's only June...

Saturday, January 19, 2019

My piano

my piano . . . used to be grandma Storers piano, then passed on to me. It's been around for a long time, I started lessons when I was 8 years old. Aunt Mayme was my 1st teacher, she was always so proud. She taught some of my cousins too. I'll always remember her smile and compliments - on my birthdays and Christmas, I would usually get some new sheet music from her. I took lessons until I was 16, then tried lessons at BYU. Those were the hardest lessons, where I really had to work at it. I even thought I could major in music - wrong! I can play anything pretty much, it comes fairly easy but when I had to listen and pick out different instruments in class - the ear thing - I just couldn't do it. Rather than trying harder and finding a way, I gave it up. Tough major! I've played in Sacrament meeting, I was the primary pianist at 16, I was the pianist for the church choir in California, I had many recitals and I was a perfectionist. My mom played the piano too, I remember her playing and it was so nice. When our 5th child, Jenni, passed away I couldn't get myself to play the piano much, not much at all. You see, she, Ky and Jake would come over every Sunday for dinner. Jen and I would play the piano, we'd take turns picking out hymns for each other to play, we would practice duets for Christmas. Then it became to hard and heartbreaking to sit down and play. I still have a hard time and its been over 3 years. Maybe it will come - .. All of our kids took lessons and practiced on that piano. No matter how long they took those lessons, I'm happy to say that at least they all gave it a try. That makes me happy to know they tried at my request. I can see Aunt Mayme smiling down on us!

No comments: