Sunday, October 26, 2014
our first base and first babies
Dale worked part time at the Cheese Factory in Rigby, Idaho for a few months after we were married. I had a job with an insurance company. With that in mind and our first baby due in March 1979, the concern of money and how to provide came about. Dale didn't want to be a life time "potato farmer" or at the cheese factory, so he decided to join the Air Force. He left for basic training in San Antonio, Texas in September. I later joined him in Biloxi, Mississippi in November - Biloxi is where his schooling was for about 4-5 months. I was blessed to be able to live with grandma and grandpa while Dale was in basic. Once we knew where Dale would be stationed, grandma helped me pack - everything we could fit into our little car. I thought it was cute that she made sure I took an iron :) There is a story all in itself concerning the iron. I wished I could have packed her up as well. The trip to Mississippi was made not only by me, but my mother-in-law, Bev, and brother-in-law, David. We took 2 cars, so that David and Bev would have a way to get back to Idaho. That trip was definitely an adventure....I was never so happy to see Dale! Our few months in Mississippi were really good - we loved our little Branch and made so many friends. Our big news and surprise were our twin sons that were born at Keesler AFB. We had so much support from friends, member and non-member alike. My good friend, Patti, gave me a surprise baby shower. She also went to the hospital with Dale and I, since she had a few kids and these were our first. Wouldn't ya know, I went into labor while in Sacrament Meeting. Justin Robert and Jason Paul were born February 19, 1979. Our little guys spent a couple weeks in the hospital because Jason was so tiny and had to put weight on before he could leave and their Dr. didn't want them to be apart, so both stayed. That was difficult for me. At one of my many visit to see my babies at the hospital, I was getting ready to leave, with tears falling - an officer saw me and gave me some comforting, yet a little scolding, advice. He meant well, but I was still teary... I just wanted my babies home. He knew they needed that time in the hospital to be well enough to go home. Then once they were home for a short time, I realized all the sleep and rest Dale and I had gotten while the nurses took care of them at the hospital :) Justin and Jason were 5 weeks old when we moved. Dales new orders were to Luke AFB in Glendale, Arizona. The first orders were to Pensacola, Florida until we found out we were having 2 babies instead of just 1. They quickly changed Dales orders. Otherwise I would have delivered in Florida - that is, if they hadn't come 5 weeks early. Hence, the reason to stay in Biloxi until the twins birth, then on to our new Base in Arizona. We had our little guys blessed in Biloxi - looking back, I wished we had waited to have them blessed with our families in Idaho. So did our families. What a blessing to have twin sons!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment