Monday, June 9, 2014
my first jobs
One of my great aunts, Faye Johnson, was a teacher at Skyline High. She was MY teacher for typing or shorthand - maybe both. Aunt Faye found my first job for me, much to my dismay. I worked at a radio station in Idaho Falls - KUPI - a country station. I worked on Saturday mornings for just a couple of hours. All I did was answer phones and not much else. But it was a job and I loved getting a paycheck. I think I had that job just for the summer.
Second job was with the Site - EEG - in Idaho Falls or Arco, depended which place I was needed at the time. I worked there in between semesters at Ricks College during the summer. Again, I answered phones, read books, took breaks, once in a great while file something. When I would take the bus out to Arco it was about the same type of work. I did have to go through security clearance and I really never understood why. The pay was good and helped me with college.
Next job was janitorial work at BYU in Provo - I worked from 4-6 a.m. I picked up this job when I learned that grandpa didn't have the money to help me with my rent. With the job came worse grades than before the job.
When I moved home from BYU I found a job at the LDS Hospital as a part-part-time ward clerk....it sounds like a church calling, but as a ward clerk I did everything from getting meds from the pharmacy to logging vitals in patients charts to doing whatever was asked. I really liked that job. The day I was hired my boss gave me papers with medical terms that I had to learn. That was were my interest peaked with anything medical. I worked at the hospital for 4 months and then met Dale, quit my job and got married. I should have kept the job because after we were married I had to find a new job, which was at a place called The World Motor Club - a mom and pop insurance company. Happy day when Dale joined the Air Force and I was able to stay home and be a full time mom, once the kiddos start coming. But even with that I taught piano lessons and babysat off and on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment