it's only June...

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Schools

My elementary school was Longfellow. I went there from kindergarten to 6th grade. I was really shy & made one good friend, Lori. I walked to & from school, plus for lunch everyday. Kindergarten - the best teacher with the best hugs! I took a rug to lay on for rest/nap time that we had everyday. I loved snack time. First grade - I was very late the first day because I was terrified. I blamed my tardiness on a stranger who tore off my fingernail! So now its funny, but I think I was traumatized from humiliation. My teacher was very sweet & pretended to believe me & the lie was put behind us. I'm sure my family at home got wind of it. Second grade - Mrs. Weekly had such a wonderful smile & sweet! Grandma made fudge at Christmas & we made a cute little box of it for me to give to Mrs. Weekly. She loved it & sent me the sweetest thank you note. That absolutely made her my hero! Third grade - my first experience learning about death. A girl in third grade, maybe my class, not sure - her & her mom were driving to school in a bad snowstorm. They ran into a ditch, where the little girl died & her mom lived. It was very sad for the whole school & I remember how bad I felt for days. I had another wonderful teacher & had my first crush :) Fourth grade - I think this is where school wasn't so cool anymore. Not the best teacher or experience. I still held my grades up & this was the year I realized school was going to be different. Fifth grade - I didn't like it much.... Sixth grade - we changed classrooms for a class every day. I guess they were doing their best to prepare us for Junior High. At the beginning it was a little scary, then it got to be annoying, being squished in the hall & then there were the boys... My Junior High was O.E. Bell. Seventh & eighth grades were great. I did well, got good grades, had friends & liked school. My great-uncle Jim Johnson was a science teacher there. Ninth grade my world changed & I got in with the wrong group of friends, grades suffered, life just wasn't the same. I made a lot of mistakes & learned some very hard lessons. Nothing I want to write out in detail for all to see. The wrongs have been made right. One of the things about the school was a hall named "suicide hall". It was so small & cramped in between classes. The music/chorus/choir class was up these very narrow tiny winding stairs. A little creepy! On warm days, we would walk to the library & eat lunch on the lawn. Loved it! I walked to & from school, which was about a mile or so each way. When it was bitter cold, grandpa would give me & my friends a ride. One day, I skipped out after lunch & walked home. It was so cold & my hands were freezing. When I walked in the house, grandpa took me to the kitchen sink & ran my hands under cold water to try & warm them back up. I thought they would fall off! After that, we had a talk about skipping school - My High school was Skyline - I rode the bus, which stopped on the corner of my house. I only rode it to school & grandpa would pick me up after. My classes ended an hour or so before school let out & I didn't want to wait for the bus. I graduated when I finished my junior year. There was only one class I needed for my senior year, government. I took it at night school, along with a few other juniors, so we could graduate early. And I did graduate! That was a happy day!

No comments: