it's only June...

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

fishing :)

Love, loved to go fishing! When I was eight, we went camping with Uncle Orrin and Aunt Mayme. I think it was the first time I got to hold the pole & be left on my own to fish; grandma set me up in a great place where there was shade over the water and it was deep. If you ever find a place like that to throw in your line, do it! I can still see that spot in my mind. After I was all set up, she left to find her own fishing hole. And before I knew it, I had a bite - Uncle Orrin was close by at the campsite, so he helped me reel my first fish in! It was so exciting and from there I caught 8 fish. I remember how excited everyone was for me and how they talked it and me up. Definately one of the more fun moments of my young years! I grew to have a real love for fishing from that moment on. Every summer, most weekends, we went camping and fishing until I married and moved away from home. I was okay with and pretty good at putting the worms on the hooks, but I never could get the hook out of the fish once I had him. There was another time grandma and I went fishing one afternoon about 20 minutes from home - as the saying goes, I got a "whopper!" It was so big and so, so exciting :) That is a legacy grandma and grandpa left with me; a love of fishing. I wish Dale had loved it as much as I did, but I learned early on in our marriage that fishing in his family was a negative thing - bummer for me and him. But I still have those wonderful memories growing up and I hold them dear. And the very cool thing is Aunt Carol has grandma and grandpas fishing baskets with some of the gear they used to fish with inside. I love seeing them - it keeps a part of my family with us.

No comments: