it's only June...

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Home

I always thought the house I grew up in was the biggest house on the block. It sat on the corner of 19th & Higbee in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It was surrounded by tall shade trees with a pretty tall pine tree in the backyard. Our trailer we took camping sat next to the pine tree. And behind that was our garden. On the other end of the garden was the clothes line & our swing that got used all the time, especially in the summers. The garage was separate from the house & there was no garage door opener except for the family. Our house had 3 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms. Me & my moms rooms were upstairs. Grandma & grandpa had the bedroom downstairs next to the front door & living room. We had a back porch that was covered, cold in the winter, where the ironing was done & where we always kept our stash of pepsi. The basement was off the porch & the scariest basement there ever was! That's where the washing machine was - a washer with a wringer...our "spin cycle" you might say. There were clothes lines in the basement too where we hung our clothes to dry when it was too cold to hang them outside. Never had a dryer - just clothes lines. The other thing we didn't have was a shower, just a bathtub. Until the day I went to college I never knew the pleasure of a shower.... Or to wash my hair in a shower rather than the kitchen sink. The outlets in my room were hung from the ceiling where the main light was....that's right, the ceiling. So cords were not hidden but hung from the ceiling to whatever I was using at the time. Maybe that's why I have issues with cords today! The kitchen was probably my favorite room in the house. Always smelled wonderful from grandmas cooking. That kitchen held many pies, cookies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, cookies, jams, & so many other delicious foods. She was the best cook! Grandma made our home very inviting & we had visitors almost every day. Of course, most of the family lived within a mile of each other so stopping in was like me hitting WalMart or Smiths every day. It was really pretty nice. I got so used to daily company that when I moved away from home I felt pretty lonely. After grandma & grandpa passed away, the house was sold to a young couple who updated the house. I got to go through it & the house looked amazing. Not the same as when I lived there, but times change. Our house was even on the front page of our local newspaper. The house still stands & a single man lives there now - he added a fence & last I heard he had dogs in the house. Oh, my grandparents would not be ok with that! I lived in that same house until I went to college at 18.

No comments: