At least once a day, one or more visitors would stop by. These visits weren't planned. Gram didn't phone ahead & invite people over for coffee or call to see when family could come for lunch. No, folks just stopped by unannounced to do one thing - visit. Winter or summer, there was always plenty of time for visiting whoever happened by. The cookies, pies or cakes always came out and passed around. My grandparents had more company in one week than I have in 2-3 months. Relaxed, friendly visits were as much a part of my grandparents daily living as breathing and eating.
I wonder what happened to that custom of drop-in-anytime hospitality. I remember it being a no-stress, no-fuss of any expectations of what's to come. It was a wonderful time and some very happy memories - all the unexpected company.
1 comment:
Sounds lovely! I feel like I have to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance to be able to visit someone.
Post a Comment