I have this love-hate relationship with money...
growing up we didn't have much, had welfare, health benefits; yet somehow I didn't know we were without. We always had plenty to eat, lots of cute clothes handed down from cousins I thought were the best, vacations, hidden candy in grandmas drawer, desserts every day...with enough to feed all the company that came over, and most importantly there was love....even for the neighbors:) I think it was the love that compensated for the lack of other things.
Married life was more of a hate relationship with money because I knew we didn't have any. The day it really hit me was when Dale & I were standing at the elevator of the hospital, ready to take our new, very loved twin sons home...finally. Some captain or whatever rank he was commented to us that he hoped we could make it on Dales salary, which was at the bottom of the ranking system:( Unfortunately the guy was right... it was tough and continued to be so for a long time. It didn't help that we seemed to have car problems over & over & over.....in town, out of town, on highways in the desert...in the summer...with no air conditioning. You get the point. Thankfully we had a wonderful Bishop & ward that lent us cars, took us places, rescued us in the middle of the night from some awful place in the desert...(again..desert), the best friends in the world who helped in every way possible - talk about humility! Dale worked hard at providing for his ever-growing family, so as time went on the money came. That's a good man!
Today,is the love relationship with money because it isn't a problem & Dale has done an awesome job of making the money work for him. He's become a bank! Just ask the kids:)
Who knows what tomorrow brings. One thing I've learned...money is just money. I've learned a lot along the way - have enough to eat, enough clothes to cover yourself with the seasons, help others, keep candy hidden somewhere at all times & love your life & those in it:)
No comments:
Post a Comment