*I spent a couple of decades being the leading lady; now I have a character role. It hurts to be downsized.
*I know he's your husband now, but he's still my son.
*We mothers say to our children, "I want you to be happy." And we mean that. What we don't say is, "But I would like to be happy too."
*I've bought and sold 13 houses in my life. Why won't you ask for my advice?
*When I visit you, I'm not coming for a white-glove inspection. I'm just coming to see the family.
*You don't seem very confident about yourself. The littlest comment from me is taken as a criticism, so I'm very careful what I say around you.
*When I really want to talk to my son privately, I don't call your house. I call his cell phone.
*I'm so happy that you allow my son- your husband - to visit me on Mother's Day. It's a long trip and a big expense. I'm truly appreciative.
*My dirty little secret: I'm afraid that if I don't get this right, you'll cut me off.
*I'm in competition with your mother. She takes you on vacations every year and buys things I can't afford. All I can do is love you and babysit for you. I hope that's enough and that it's appreciated.
*Whenever I stay at your house, you always have my room ready, my towels, everything. You do all the right things. I'm lucky to have you!
*I cherish the refrigerator magnet you gave me: "Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill."
I found this in the Readers Digest - I had kept it because at the time I needed it. Today I came across it and decided to post it rather than cluttering my drawer with more paper. It goes for daughters as well as sons. For the record, I happen to have a pretty nice mother-in-law; but it took a long time for me to realize just how lucky I was. I've heard horror stories about mothers-in-law from friends and family, especially my sweet Auntie Pat. So a big "Thank You" to my mother-in-law. I hope I can be the kind of mother-in-law that makes my in-law-kids happy to have. Just remember...I'm not perfect :)
No comments:
Post a Comment